Re: NFC: Re: aquarium stand

I have used particle board, but mostly to protect the table wood. It, or
thin polyfoam sheet, have the distinct advantage of insulating the bottom
from colder room air, which plant roots will not like very much on an
open-topped stand.

Any larger aquarium must be fully supported at all four corners *and* along
the edges of the rim most everywhere else. Slide a business card around and
find any really loose places. You may want to add some unobtrusive shim to
any really open gaps before adding substrate and water.

Tanks are surprisingly flexible, but some kinds of torque can eventually
break a bottom, front or back glass when least convenient. Just be sure the
tank has enough support that it will not want to twist when loaded with
hundreds of pounds of gravel and water. Push down hard on all four corners
in turn, and be sure the tank does not rock when empty. 99% of the time,
that's all you need to do to have a safe filling.

Wright

--
Wright Huntley,  Fremont CA, USA,  510 494-8679     huntley1 at home_com

In retrospect it becomes clear that hindsight is definitely overrated.

              http://environmental.networkroom.com/