Re: NFC: ZM

Paul makes a very good point, and one that is not just true of aquatic
animals.

When an organism becomes established in a new environment, it typically eats
itself out of house and home, then dies back to a level that is sustainable.
  This is especially true where there are no effective predators available.

Unfortunately, in the meantime native species suffer from the unwarranted
competition.  Hopefully, there will be some native individuals of each
species left to repopulate the environment after the ZMs calm down!

It would seem that native fish that prey on clams (freshwater drum,
sturgeon, catfish, etc.) should be able to make a meal of the mussels.
Perhaps they just need to learn that they are good to eat.

It also seems that the larval stage of the mussels would be a potential food
source for young fish..?  Any thoughts on that?

tchau,

Scott