Re: NFC: Re: carlin? Way OT!

Yep.

And it's not only honest journalists that get punished.  A number of
scientists have been ostracized for not jumping on the wagon!  Some have
lost fellowships, have been dumped from government and UN-funded climate
study committees, etc.  It doesn't take too long for the quick learners to
figure out where the money comes from, and what strings are attached.

The fact is, the earth is not getting appreciably warmer.  I had fun at Dan
Rather's expense last winter.  When an unusually dry, warm winter was being
experienced in New England, if memory serves, Mr. Rather blamed - you
guessed it, GLOBAL WARMING.  Then when a very long cold spell accompanied by
lots of snow followed later in the year, Mr. Rather blamed - GLOBAL WARMING.
  Amazing.  And there are folks that believe him in both cases.

Actually, global mean temps have increased slightly over the last 110 years.
  Most of that increase occurred in the first 60 years of the 110 year
period, before the burning of fossil fuels became an important energy
source.  And the increase is entirely within the range of natural,
expectable temperature variations.

The global warming 'crisis' sprung from 'scientists' who created 'what-if'
computer models, incorporating a range of possible scenarios, assumptions
(wild and otherwise) and some historical climate records. All of this lead
of course to predictably uncertain and unscientific results.

Adding to the mix is the fact that the news media invariably take ahold of
the worst possible scenario (which is truly beyond the range of possibility)
and say "this is what will happen".

I read a really funny (but also disturbing) news blurb the other day about
how New Zealand's farmers are up in arms over their government's attempt to
charge a 'flatulence tax' as part of their compliance with the Kyoto Treaty.
  It seems the sheep and cattle create large amounts of 'greenhouse gases'
whilst they chew their cuds, and the farmers who raise 'em must be punished
forthwith.  Is that not an example of government run amok?

You know what the preponderant, devilishly harmful greenhouse gas is, that
we are all so worried about?  Carbon dioxide, possibly the most benevolent
molecule known to man.  Us aquarium folks know that if one adds CO2 to an
environment, the plants happily use it right up.  It works the same way in
or out of the water.  I really do think this has been blown out of all
proportion!

Best,

Scott