Re: NFC: Aquarium backgrounds

I do need to dig up some plexi to tryi this on.  I just wont be able to test
the long term affects.  The reason I'm concerned is that I made the aquarium
and stand myself...doing so I made it as a peninsula type that can stick out
into the middle of a room so you can see right through it.  My house doesn't
have room for that however so now I have a off-white textured wall about a
foot behind the aquarium as a background...very boring.  I would hate to
eliminate the ability to stick it out in the middle of a room since that
will probably be the selling point if I ever decide to upgrade :)

Thanks,
Larry

> I don't know the answer to that, I've never owned any plexi-glass tanks.
>
> Obviously it would probably be prudent to get  a small piece of scrap of
plexi-glass and try painting it as a pre-test to see how things would work
on the real stuff.

> But even if it did pit the surface of the plexi-glass, that wouldn't
necessarily be entirely a bad thing, perhaps. It would probably give the
paint a better surface to cling to, and might give the background a subtle
textural quality that was interesting. It would however probably also make
it harder to remove the black at some point in the future and re-do the
background as say yellow.

> I don't think of a black background as making the tank "dreary," I think
it makes the background disappear. And thus the viewer's attention is
focused on the artistic arrangement of fish, plants. lighting, and/or slime
algae etc. you've provided for their consideration and amusement.