Re: NFC: western mosquito fish?

Kristine Weisbrod Massin wrote:

> Does anyone know if the western mosquito fish that keeps popping up in my
> searches as being native to Colorado is the same much-reviled gambusia
> mosquito fish that has been introduced everywhere to control mosquitos (yes,
> robert, I know it doesn't do such a hot job :) )

After a quick scan through Peterson Field Guide to Freshwater Fishes, I
doubt it. There are several other western Gambusia species (or sub-species)
but none listed as native to CO. Most are Pecos, Rio Grande and south.

*Gambusia affinis* of course has been mis-introduced to all kinds of western
waters. Colorado is mostly too high and cold to sustain them, except in warm
spring flows or flatland sun-heated waters. Map 258 of my copy of Peterson's
shows their range as just missing the SE corner of Colorado.

Wright

--
Wright Huntley, Fremont CA, USA, 510 494-8679  huntley1 at home_com

        "Congress has not unlimited powers to provide
for the general welfare but only those specifically enumerated."
                                      --Thomas Jefferson

                Did you try the quiz at:

          http://www.self-gov.org/index.html ?