Re: NFC: salinaty torlorances of darters?

Kidt,

You've illustrated why it is often not a good idea to mix tropicals and
natives in the same tank.

Rams are native to the Savannahs of northeastern South America.  They
require relatively warm water to thrive (85 degrees is about right).  They
also do best in soft, acid waters.  Water parameters in their native habitat
are pH of 5.5 to 6.0, very little if any measureable hardness.  It is
essentially rain water acidified by natural tannins.  The rams probably
succumbed quickly to the disease because they were stressed by inappropriate
water conditions and low temperatures.

As others have mentioned, native species, especially stream-dwellers, often
suffer at temperatures that are appropriate for tropicals, and vice-versa.

Best,

Scott