NFC: Fw: madtom news

Greetings from the CFI Center for Higher Madtomology!

Another birth announcement! We have over 100 little Noturus "stigmosus"!
These are from parents collected in the Hatchie R. last year.

We've been working with a variety of ways to produce better results in
rearing madtoms. Looks like this way is about as good as it gets! Let Daddy
do it.

This is the first time we've let a male stay with a clutch and hatch them. He
deserves a good pat on the back!

Our heavy conditioning (started very early in the season) seems to be paying
off. We had a Smoky madtom pair spawn earlier in the season, but
unfortunately disturbed the nest shortly after it was spawned. Madtoms still
are proving to be very difficult to handle for the first day or so.

We have pairs of yellowfins, Smokys, pygmys, brindleds, stone cats and others
set up to spawn. Hopefully some of these will do as the stigmosus did. We are
going to avoid looking for nests for at least a couple of weeks to see what
will happen.

Anyway, the little stigmosus have absorbed their yolks and are starting to
feed.

What a beautiful madtom!

J. R. Shute, Co-Director
Conservation Fisheries, Inc.