NFC: Re: Fw: just finished this on Nematodes

I'm reading some of the responses to this thread and realizing that folks
are making it a lot more complicated than it needs to be.

My experience was with a 55 gallon aquarium, operated in a "filterless"
state because I was a poor teenager more than any other reason at the time.
It ran continuously for a couple of years with no water changes (just
freshwater top-offs due to evaporation).  I had no live plants other than
cruddy red & brown algaes.  No filtration of any kind.  Just a couple of 4"
air stones with a half decent air pump behind it.  Low stocking density
definitely helps but my tank was moderately stocked with very hardy fishes
(mostly).  The blue hippo tang was the shocker (he did fine.... never had
good luck with those in well equipped tanks).  The other fishes included a
coral hogfish, spotted hawkfish, gold spotted snake eel, snowflake moray,
and probably one or two more that I am forgetting.

This tank was a disgrace.  It was ugly, had salt creep everywhere, had a
nice thick layer of mulm over the crushed coral, etc.  Yet oddly enough the
fishes seem to do just fine.  In fact the gold spotted snake eel hit almost
4 feet in length in one year (I bought him at about 10").  The only reason
the tank isn't still running is because I moved in with my grandparents in
'92 or '93 and gave those fishes away.

That's why I chuckle whenever people say you've got to have tons of light,
filtration, etc.  I do personally subscribe to the "more filtration is
better" camp but my experience with that old 55 gallon tank tells me that
sometimes you can get away with next to nothing if you pick the right
fishes.

Chris Hedemark - Hillsborough, NC
http://yonderway.com