Re: NFC: Filterless Tank Experiment: Utter Failure

Chuck,

It sounds like you need more plant mass and a 'dependable' light source.
Indirect natural light is not usually sufficient for any but a handful of
plants such as anubias and perhaps java moss and java fern.

The trouble with these plants is that they grow slowly, especially under low
light, and use relatively less nutrients than will faster-growing,
light-loving plants.

Your unfiltered ten-gallon tank could probably support your ten small fish,
but only after the plants are well established and growing.  If you want to
try again, I'd recommend 40 watts of lighting, double or triple the number
of plants and start out with only three or four fish.  Feed no more than
three times a week at first, and then only a little at a time.

It always helps to start out with a fast-growing nutrient mop like floating
water sprite or hornwort (coon's tail).  These can be removed later, if you
wish, after the other plants are established.

Over time, if things go well, you could try adding one or two fish at a
time.

Good luck,

Scott