Re: NFC: Continuing my weird wild life day

In a message dated Fri, 11 May 2001  7:04:21 PM Eastern Daylight Time, robert a rice <robertrice at juno_com> writes:

<< About 5 pm a hen turkey and her dozen babies made the stroll through the creek in front of the house. Seemed normal and all together benign until my evil 10 year old daughter said can I catch 1 ? After 40 requests and thinking it would never happen I said yes and sure enough in 2 minutes she had a baby poult and moma ran off deep into the woods...so I now have a lil turkey attacking my cricket farm. Poltry starter is on the menu tommorrow :) >>

As a young (and uh, dumb) adult, I thought it would be novel to capture a wild Canadian Goose chick from along side the Yellowstone River.  Hmmm, probably a federal crime in the making, if I don't miss my bet...As I approached, the mother goose hissed & arched her neck, but I, being of the great homo sapiens species, knew she would run from me as soon as I got close enough. Because, as we all know, all critters have come to fear mankind, right?  Wrong!!  That ol' mother goose beat the crap out of me with her wings (I did get my hands on a gosling, however temporarily) and then she and her babies proceeded to outrun me to the river. Once they reached the river, the humiliation was complete as my first step was into some soft muck/mud and my next was a faceplant into said muck/mud. All of a sudden, I had absolutely no desire to catch one of those "cute" little butterballs.  Nope, none whatsoever!  And, standing over by our car, my worthless, beer drinking buddies couldn't stop l!
aughing.  Somehow, at the time,
it didn't seem so funny to me.

Bruce Scott
Meridian, Idaho