Re: NFC: Environmentally concious 4x4 owners

Boo Radley said:
> Walk, get a horse. That is the short list. Other
> choices are destructive.

Horses are destructive on the trails, too (I help repair the trails, I know
first hand).  Heck even walking is destructive.  It's a matter of degrees of
destructiveness, and what your threshhold is.

Far more destructive than any 4x4 trail is building a house, a road, a strip
mall, an office building, etc.

You will not stop 4x4 or ATV enthusiasts.  It's just too darned much fun.
The best thing you can hope to do is work with motorsports enthusiasts to
ensure that the most fragile sections of trail are protected from erosion
and tire damage.  Second thing is to control the flow of the trail so that
new trails aren't constructed as tangents off existing trails.

In a sense the horseback riders are /more/ destructive because they have to
be the worst about creating their own trails and damaging the banks along
the fragile mountain streams with the horses' hooves as they stop to drink.

Follow-Ups: References: