Re: NFC: Re: Re: tree bleed

AAAh, Sheesh!!!

I just replied to this thread and then hit 'cancel' instead of 'send'!

I will try to get it Wright this time!

Larry,

I'd be a little concerned about using cedar in an aquarium.  I've heard a
number of times that cedar chips are not recommended for lizard and snake
enclosures because the oil in the wood contains a toxic substance that can
do 'em in.  This is probably the same substance that makes the wood
rot-resistent.  Having had a previous bad experience from using the wrong
kind of wood in a fish tank, I would advise testing 'expendable'  fish
before adding anything to the tank that you don't want to risk.  Proceed
with caution!

For backgrounds, my preference is always to first paint the outside of the
back panel with black spray paint.  Brown or blue will do fine, just 'keep
it dark'.  This dark background really sets the fish off well, and it tends
to help nervous fish feel more secure.  Make sure to follow a few simple
steps:  Use masking tape over the plastic trim and to prevent over-spray
from reaching the side panels, and cover the top with newspaper to prevent
paint from landing inside the tank.

You can leave it at that, or take it another step and silicon gravel or cork
bark to the back panel.  I much prefer natural cork bark over the commercial
composite, but either will work.  Natural cork bark is expensive, but it
looks very nice.  The gravel also looks good, and it's cheap, but it's quite
labor intensive to glue it the glass one piece at a time.  I think gravel
looks best if it's of a uniform color and shade but of varying size.

So why bother to paint the glass if you're going to cover it anyway?

Simple.  Either of these methods leave small gaps between the pieces.  You
don't want to see any white wall peeking through the back of your tank.

Personally, I much prefer these methods to the commercially available
background pictures.

An off-topic aside, IMHO ANWAR is one of Jimmy Carter's worst mistakes
(along with the Panama Canal Treaty...but that's another topic for another
day - and probably another list!!).

Good Fishin'!

Scott

A good rule to live by:  If Robert Redford's for it, lean hard the other way