From: owner-nfc at actwin_com [mailto:owner-nfc at actwin_com]On Behalf Of
Wright Huntley
Sent: Sunday, May 06, 2001 4:31 PM
To: nfc at actwin_com
Subject: Re: NFC: Re: Re: tree bleed

[Please don't post to lists in MIME. It makes answering very difficult
(not
to mention reading).]

Larry wrote:
> Don't happen to know how to get cedar to sink do you?  I've heard
that cedar has certain properties that never let it rot which is why
it's used for
> fence posts and stuff like that.  Does this also mean it will never
water log?  I've got a piece of plexiglass wedged under the top plexi
of my tank
> pinning the log down at about center mass.  This bastard REALLY
wants to float, and it wont let up.  It's about 4 feet long and 'was'
about a foot
> in diameter until I cut in in half with some roots shooting out at
one end.

Cedar is basically a very soft, light wood. Redwood has similar
properties,
and does eventually decompose when submersed for a long time. IDK
about
cedar.

The standard method for soft woods that will never sink, is to screw
or
silicone them to a piece of roofing tile. That can be buried in the
substrate so it does not show.

> ALSO...anyone have a suggestion to use as a backing on a 30 inch
tall tank (can't get over 24 inch backings in town).  I would like to
find
> something that would go on almost like a rubbery paint, so it could
spread on easy, not ruin the wood if I get some on it, and come off
without
> affecting the plexiglass.  Putting 'something black/blue/whatever'
back behind it just doesn't do the effect of having some bonded air
tight to the
> surface.

A number of our local plant folks like the thick dark cork tiles that
are
sold at the hardware stores for panelling. Silicone it to the back or
to a
piece of plexi, and plant it with moss, ferns, etc. Looks natural, and
is
easy to cut/splice for an exact fit. Some work it over with a Dremel
tool so
it isn't so flat on the exposed surface. Seems to hold up
indefinitely, too.

Wright

--
Wright Huntley, Fremont CA, USA, 510 494-8679  huntley1 at home_com

       "Strike any key to continue..."
            How? My stupid keyboard doesn't even have an "any" key!

Follow-Ups: References: