NFC: Fw: DEN Alert: Help Stop Sprawl in Florida

DEN Alert:
Help Stop Sprawl in Florida

Powerful special interests are working overtime in the hectic, final
days of Florida's state legislative session to ram through bills that
would allow more sprawling development and destroy more of our rapidly
vanishing habitat for wildlife. In these critical last days of the
Florida legislative session, state legislators must NOT give free
reign to developers. Instead, they should act to protect special
places such as the Everglades and critically endangered species
such as the Florida Panther.

WHAT YOU CAN DO:

Please send a free e-mail TODAY to the governor and state legislators
urging them to STOP THESE CONTROVERSIAL BILLS NOW!! Tell Governor
Jeb Bush and state legislators to support strong growth management
legislation to protect vanishing endangered habitats and wildlife
throughout Florida. We only have a few days left. Thanks for doing
your part to protect what's left of wild Florida!

INSTRUCTIONS TO RESPOND VIA THE WEB:

If you have access to the web, simply click on the link below which
will take you to the DEN Action Center web site:

                        http://www.denaction.org

If you don't have access to the Internet, please e-mail your letter
NOW to Governor Jeb Bush at: fl_governor at myflorida_com, Florida's
Speaker of the House Feeney at: Feeney.tom at leg_state.fl.us and
State Senate President McKay at: mckay.john at leg_state.fl.us

SAMPLE LETTER:

Dear Governor Bush, Representative Feeney and Senator McKay:

As a resident of Florida, I urge you to support strong growth
management laws to protect rapidly disappearing habitats and
endangered species throughout the state. Several bills --
SB 310/380 and HB 1617/1487 -- do not promote sound growth
management and must not be passed. Florida is currently experiencing
relentless growth and development and now the state legislature must
send a strong message to powerful special interests who are trying
to pass a bill that will clearly lead to more, not less sprawl. You
have heard from the citizens of Florida through surveys, hearings
and through citizens' votes for constitutional amendments to protect
the state's natural resource lands, water and wildlife.  Citizens
have clearly indicated that they want strong growth management
programs.

Earlier this legislative session, the Senate and House had growth
management legislation addressing two sound growth management
initiatives: one to integrate schools into community planning and
the other to develop fiscal impact analyses regarding new development.
State legislators need to support these bills, rather then the weak
substitutes currently being considered.

I look to you to help protect my quality of life, my rights as a
citizen and the land, water and wildlife of Florida. I urge you to
vote for strong growth management.

Sincerely,

1) for information on Defenders of Wildlife's Florida Programs and
the 2001 legislative session, visit:
http://www.defenders.org/wildlife/flbears/news/floridabearnews.html

2) for the most up to date information as Florida's Legislative
session wrap up, visit:
http://www.defenders.org/habitat/savewildflorida/

or send an e-mail to denlines at defenders_org and put the word SUBSCRIBE
in the subject line.
If your e-mail address has changed, send an e-mail to
changeaddress at defenders_org and put your new e-mail address in the
subject line. Make sure you put nothing in the subject line other
than your new e-mail address.
Defenders of Wildlife is a leading national conservation organization
recognized as one of the nation's most progressive advocates for
wildlife and its habitat and known for its effective leadership on
saving endangered species such as brown bears and gray wolves, Defenders
advocates new approaches to wildlife conservation that protect species
before they become endangered. Founded in 1947, Defenders is a nonprofit
501(c)(3)organization with more than 420,000 members and supporters.

                       Defenders of Wildlife
                  1101 14th Street, NW, Suite 1400
                       Washington, DC 20005
                            http://www.defenders.org