Re: NFC: where is everybody?

Hi Andrew--

I live just outside Denver, CO.  Which explains why I don't do much other
than my 180 gal native fish tank at the wildlife refuge where I work.  For
those who don't know, Colorado has some REALLY strict wildlife laws...and
every person you talk to is going to give you a different answer about what
you can and can't do.  It is illegal to buy or sell any vertebrate native to
Colorado--or that can hybridize with a CO native--but they seem to make a
ton of exceptions...like tiger salamanders, and bait fish.  But you have to
buy a commercial collecting license to collect 'bait fish' (which translates
to 'really pretty/interesting aquarium species' in my mind) and can only
collect from man-made streams or certain natural ponds and lakes...not
natural springs, streams, or rivers.

I guess it's good, but some days it really drives me nuts.  I was told I
would be allowed to do any collection I wanted on the Refuge since it's
Federal land, but since most of our water bodies are either intermittent or
man-made, the only fish in them are sport fish (bluegill, catfish, pike,
etc) or gambusia.  So I've been relying on Luke to send me fish for my tank
here (Luke, can you resend me your address so I can send you a check for
shipping?  my husband threw it out AGAIN...why oh why did I marry a
neat-freak?)

Sorry, I'll stop griping now.  (you guys in Florida REALLY make me jealous
you know...I can't even have a pond in my backyard without a really serious
expenditure of money b/c of the cold)

-kris massin