NFC: RE: fish behavior at dams, trip report

Neat experience you shared.

I call it swarming, and any and all your conjectures could be the
cause, mating, attracting pray (bug hatch you mentioned).  Biological
conditions can cause swarms too... oxygen level depleted in deeper
water can push fish up causing them to swarm at the surface.   I think
the Mating colors noted by red on Creek Chubs indicates they could be
looking for suitable breeding ground upstream (shallows, suitable
areas).  The rest maybe feed?  Whichever the cause, swarming happens
all the time in the wild, and by a great many different organisms,
breeding and feeding being the top causes :).  Your story brought back
fond collecting memories of swarms I've experienced.

It seems to me a case of being in the right place at the right time.
Awesome wasn't it?

Thanks for the story I enjoyed reading it!

Paul

Sachs Systems Aquaculture
1185 Thompson Bailey Road
St. Augustine FL  32084

PHONE:  (904) 824 - 6308
ICQ  :  4216428
EMAIL:  Mailto:Deano at AquacultureStore_com
web  :  http://www.AquacultureStore.com