Re: NFC: Florida Collecting

Chris Guppenberger wrote:

> Hyacinth is illegal to possess in Florida so I havent fed them to mine in
> the ponds.  They presently have become familiar with hydrilla as we have it
> in a pond, it just showed up one day...
>
> Speaking of hydrilla.... In Central Florida there is a hydrilla nicknemed
> "Gorilla Hydrilla or Rambo Hydrilla" it has become resistant to the
> chemicals we use to treat it. It is even immune to SONAR (to those who are
> familiar to the aquatic label herbicides).  Kinda unreal if you ask me.
> Invasive exotic plants are just as much as a problem as are the fish and
> inverts that have come into the country.  Grass carp are the only real
> alternative treatment on them at the moment.

Plants are, IMO, ten times the threat of any introduced animal.  Unlike
an introduced animal, which tends to just take over a niche for another
species or several other species, introduced plants can radically alter
an ecosystem.  For instance, Purple LooseStrife has, in some areas,
completely displaced native cattail and wild rice.  As a result, birds
are unable to forage for seed.  Amphibians are unable to lay their eggs
in its super-dense structure.  And so on, and so on. . . . .

Josh.