Re: NFC: permission to republish NFC articles

Again, though, there is the matter of how copyright law works.  IANAL but my
understanding of it is this.

When you write something, and post it somewhere public like the internet, it
is automatically copyrighted to you.  Unless you sign over copyright to a
publisher or some other third party, you still own the copyright.  Robert
can write articles and let NANFA publish them if he wants, but unless he
signed over copyright he still owns the rights to that article.  He can
actually say "you can publish it once in your printed journal, but no on
your web site".  So unless he has signed copyright, he would be the one in a
position to be a pr*ck.  Thankfully the NFC seems to be more about sharing
the information and less about these stupid turf wars.

Again, IANAL, but if the authors didn't sign over copyright I'd just put the
articles back up and let NANFA either litigate or shut up.  I think any
lawyer would pretty much tell them that unless they got copyright signed
over to them, it would be a fruitless pursuit.

[sorry, I'm the one who farted]

Chris Hedemark - Hillsborough, NC
http://yonderway.com