Re: NFC: Re: Filterless Aquariums.

On Fri, 9 Feb 2001, Gary Rollwage wrote:
> How much  (on the average) does gravel, plants, etc etc. displace
> the amount of water in a tank?

Hi folks,
Haven't read all NFC mail in a week, so, apologies if this has been
answered already.

I presume that plants would displace only a small amount of water. Even if
you have a lot of plants, you aren't loosing too much of water volume.

I also presume that stones, sand and gravel would displace the about same
amount of water as their volume. Multiply the length and depth of the tank
with the height of the gravel to get the volume displaced (in cubic inches
of you are using inches as the measure).

There should be a standard conversion from cubic inches to gallons which I
don't know. Here is an approximate attempt: A cubic inch is equivalent to
16.4 cubic centimeters (cc) and there are 1000 cc in a liter. Assuming
3.75 liters per US Gallon, we have about 3750 cc to a US Gallon or about
229 cubic inches to a US Gallon.

Assuming that you have 3" of substrate in a 55 Gallon (3x1 ft base), you
would then have 3 x 36 x 12 or 1296 cubic inches or about 5.6 Gallons of
substrate. Approximating further, each inch of substrate in a 55 Gallon
tank would displace about 1.5 to 2 gallons of water.

Again, these numbers are all approximations. If anyone has better numbers,
please do correct me.

btw, does anyone have Ray Wolff's phone number (Wisconsin Rapids, WI) ?

Tony/Ray Suydam: I got a filter from Marineland in the mail for the AATP.

Sajjad

Follow-Ups: References: