RE: NFC: Fish names

> I hear you on the "pet" peeve thing. One of my favorites in the fish
> trade is giving red shiners (Cyprinella lutrensis) the common name
> "Asiatic fire barb" or "rainbow dace". It does not do American
> fishes justice. True, the red shiner has had a bad impact in some
> places, but there's no point in naming it something totally bogus.
> Just because a handful of Asian breeders rear this fish does not
> make it Asian. Nor is it a dace and certainly not a barb! And only
> by a significant stretch of the imagination is it the color
> of fire. Now how's that for confusion?!

Oh, that solves the mystery! Just this morning I was reading an article on
coldwater fishes in a British publication (Practical Fishkeeping). They kept
talking about a rainbow dace and even had pictures. I couldn't remember ever
seeing a dace listed as a rainbow dace and was mystified.

Chuck

Follow-Ups: References: