Re: NFC: Fish names

I hear you on the "pet" peeve thing. One of my favorites in the fish
trade is giving red shiners (Cyprinella lutrensis) the common name
"Asiatic fire barb" or "rainbow dace". It does not do American
fishes justice. True, the red shiner has had a bad impact in some
places, but there's no point in naming it something totally bogus.
Just because a handful of Asian breeders rear this fish does not
make it Asian. Nor is it a dace and certainly not a barb! And only
by a significant stretch of the imagination is it the color of fire. Now
how's that for confusion?!
Matt

Follow-Ups: References: