Re: NFC: plant filtering capabilities

Hi Kris

Sounds like a modified version of an algae scrubber -- basically, the
algae (or in your case, plants) grow in an "ideal" environment (good
light) and feed off the nutrients in the tank.  They remove nitrate, which
modern filters don't (for the most part).  In exchange, they make more
plant.  You harvest some of the plant, and remove the nitrate.

Works great with algae (your friend is undoubtably using a macro-algae,
such as caulerpa, as there are no marine plants commercially available,
with the possible exception of turtle-grass, which would be unsuitable
anyhow. :)  However, since "real plants" have more stringent demands for
micronutrients (iron and potassium being two very important onees) you'll
often wind up with limited growth, and therefore little filtration by it.

However, if you add micronutrients, or use water changes to maintain
levels (should you be blessed to have water high in these), you can be
quite successful.

Rooted plants in such a set up seldom work very well.  ALgae like plants,
such as Java Moss, Nitella, Azoala, etc, seem to be the best bet.
By the by -- the reason why this ingenious set up isn't seen too often is
due to a number of large shortcomings.  Many of the plants and algaes used
release various water colouring compounds (tanins most notably) into the
water, some of which are harmful to corals, inverts, and fish (including
sweetwater fish).  pH shifts can also be expected, as well as low O2.
Yes, thats right, low O2.  Plants need to breath, too, and when the tank
lights go out, they stop producing O2, and there is a net loss of it.
Plants do not "breath" Co2 and exhale O2, they breath in O2, exhale CO2.
They "eat" CO2, and O2 is the waste product of that.  During an average
day, there is a net output of O2 -- they eat more than breath.  However,
in a small aquarium, where O2 levels can be easily depleted, this can
lead to all sorts of problems.

end
  ____^__
><,Darwin,>
Joshua L. Wiegert
NFC Lists Administrator                          JLW at pi_dune.net
www.geocities.com/RainForest/Jungle/1680/        owner-nfc at actwin_com
ICQ 69551951                                     AIM UID: Etheosoma
Feel free to contact me by any of the above means for any reason.
returns a list of other commands, or feel free to contact me at
Owner-NFC at actwin_com.  All lists are @actwin.com. Come join us and chat
about our native fishes, or visit http://www.nativefish.org!