Re: NFC: plant filtering capabilities

The faster the plant grows the more wastes from the
water is removed.

It will vary per species depending on how they adapt
to your water, ph/hardness.

One thing to watch for in the algaes is their collapse
phase, better to stick with the 'bunch plants' that do
well in your water.

One advantage is you can keep one or two shops
supplied from your excess.

Look into the 'refugia' that are used on marine
systems, they work great for freshwater also.

A heavily planted tank is also a simple way to go.
--- Kristine Weisbrod Massin <kwmprairie at hotmail_com>
wrote:

<HR>
filtering/water cleaning abilities of different
aquarium plants?&nbsp; </P>
<P>There's a gentleman in town here (Denver) who has
set up an interesting aquarium filter for his marine
aquariums.&nbsp; He uses the case &amp; pump from a
wet-dry undertank, but instead of using bioballs he
fills it with plants.&nbsp; It seems to work great,
the tanks in the shop he had that setup on were much
healthier than the ones with the traditional
set-ups.</P>
<P>I'm thinking I would like to combine this idea with
my current wet-dry.&nbsp; My plan is to leave the bio
balls in, but fill the resevoir side with plants &amp;
leave grow light on them all from 1pm to 11am (not
quite 24 hours &amp; flipped from the plants in the
tank).&nbsp; I'll have to build a screen filter for
the pump, but that's pretty simple.</P>
<P>My problem is that the only plant I have an
abundant amount of is java moss and I'm not sure what
kind of filtering ability it has.&nbsp; I could get
some cabamba for pretty cheap, but I've never had
really good luck with it.&nbsp; Maybe a mixture of
assorted plants would be good?&nbsp; My amazon swords
from my old tropical tank are sending out babies like
mad...they need to be seperated anyway...there's no
room for the fish anymore!</P>
<P>Suggestions?</P>
<P>thanks,</P>
<P>kris</P><br clear=all><hr>Get your FREE download of
MSN Explorer at <a