Re: NFC: FL collecting

Typically I would ride down, but I live in Wisconsin and early March is too
unpredictable. Could be great when you leave and have 3 feet of snow when
you get back, so we are planning on trailering the bikes down, behind a
pickup. I'll also bring my collecting gear and coolers and aerators so I
can bring back a few specimens, if we get to collect.

As we get closer to the actual date and it looks like we are REALLY coming
(you know how quickly these trips can fall apart) I'll send a few more
notes and see if we can firm up a trip.

Ty

p.s. No "betta-bowls" in my plans. haha

By incredible coincidence, I live in Interlachen (as Ty already knows). The
magnitude of this coincidence is exemplified by saying that if all the
residents of Interlachen had voted for Gore, the recent presidential
election would still have teetered in (?on) the balance.

I still haven't been to Poe Springs as Robert Rice suggests, and it's not
far away, but there's also a nice place by Rodman Dam that's only 15
minutes from Interlachen, where we can get some local killies (flagfish
[Jordanella floridae], bluefins [Lucania goodei], golden-ear topminnows
[Fundulus chrysotus] and maybe F. lineolatus) plus other common locals like
native sailfin mollies, Heterandria formosa, Elassoma sp., "swamp darters",
Damnbusia, various sunfish etc.

Just remember that if you plan on selling those Daytona bikers a lot of
those "betta vases" with patriotic flagfish posing as bettas, you'll need a
Florida fish dealer's license.  Ditto if you plan on selling "turn your old
helmet into a fishbowl" conversion kits (assuming you provide a "free fish"
as an inducement, of course).  <g>

Are you a "trailer the bike down" (so there's a truck involved that could
haul some fish back home) or "two-wheels all the way" kind of traveler ?

Doug Dame
Interlachen FL