Re: NFC: political stuff...

How can I object?

Good question.

I can object because I know that saying "no" to the Arctic drilling does not
fix anything.  It just moves the problem to someone else's back yard.  We
have a fairly constant (if not growing) demand for petroleum products, so
oil must be drilled at close to a fixed or predictable rate.  If it is not
drilled one place, it will be drilled somewhere else.  So the way I see it,
moving the problem doesn't solve anything.  The way to fix the problem is to
ensure that the drilling that *is* done is done in the cleanest possible
way, with followup teams to help put back together any part of the
environment that has been disrupted as a result of the drilling.

I also think that oil companies should leave a sizable "security deposit"
with local governments in the areas where they are drilling to ensure that
if any damage is done, the money will already be there to put a rescue
operation into effect.  This way there is no waiting on the courts to award
money to the rescue fund.

Ultimately the best way to drill is in such a way that no rescue operation
is needed at all to clean up.  THAT, my friends, is where I think we need to
be devoting our attention.

In closing, I hope you see I am not "against" environmental cleanliness.  I
am just against "solutions" that really don't fix anything in the first
place.  Look down the road a little farther, and also use some peripheral
vision, and do it right the first time around.

Chris Hedemark - Hillsborough, NC
http://yonderway.com