Re: NFC: Re: conservation issues

Hey Chris, they're starting to crack down on the hikers, too.

A couple of years ago I took two Boy Scouts on a hike in the Cascade
mountains, and was accosted by a couple of junior 'forest rangers'.  They
wanted to know if we had a permit to hike in the wilderness area.

I asked what that was all about; was this not public land, and did we not
have a right to be there?

We had no such right, he assured me.  Fortunately for us, he happened to
have a blank form in his backpack, so I was able to fill out the form and we
contined on our way.

Later on, I discovered that permits for access to wilderness areas are
sometimes very difficult to obtain, especially for a group of any size.
When I was a kid in Montana, wilderness areas were easily accessible without
any 'red tape' to wade through...

I guess I'd have to ask how the govt has any right to keep me off of land
that I ostensibly own (at least in part)?

But back to the hike.  We ended up at a very pretty mountain lake, caught a
number of beautiful red-bellied native cutthroat trout, most of which were
released, then hiked back out the same day.  A very enjoyable trip except
for our run-in with the 'law'.

So go out and enjoy your public lands...until the government puts up a 'no
trespassing' sign!

Regards,

Scott