NFC: Fw: Endangered Salmon Update - Action Needed Now! SEND FAX~a274u90388t0~

SAVE OUR ENVIRONMENT ACTION CENTER UPDATE

By using the Save Our Environment Action Center
[http://www.saveourenvironment.org], you are working
together with the nation's most influential environmental
advocacy groups in the crucial battles to protect our air
and water, forests and oceans, climate, wilderness, and
wildlife.

To send a free fax to President Clinton and Vice President
Gore on this issue, just reply to this email.

December 11, 2000

President Clinton has only a few weeks left to decide
whether to save wild Snake River salmon or allow them to
become extinct, turning them into museum artifacts. To
prevent the extinction of these legendary fish, President
Clinton ought to follow the science and choose dam removal
as the right path for their recovery.

The administration's original salmon recovery plan has been
hidden from the public until recently, when it was uncovered
by a reporter. This original plan respected the opinions of
leading scientists, who say we need to be ready to remove
four dams on the lower Snake River to save the wild salmon.
Instead, however, the administration's more recent plan
relies on the same failed strategies tried for the last 20
years, and would delay dam removal until it's too late.

Don't let our government waste money on programs that are
really just meant to save the dams, and won't work to save
the salmon. Tell the White House to ensure it leaves a
positive environmental legacy by returning to its original
plan to remove the lower Snake dams.

Delay equals extinction. Send the White House a message
today. We've made it easy for you -- just reply to this
email and we'll automatically fax the message below to
President Clinton and Vice President Gore. Or, if you prefer
to call, the White House comment line is 202-456-1414.

Once again, thanks for being part of the Save Our
Environment activist network and for taking action to help
preserve and protect the Earth's natural treasures and
quality of life.

Save Our Environment Action Center --

http://www.saveourenvironment.org/

Fax message -- just reply to this email and we'll send this
message to President Clinton and Vice President Gore.

Dear President Clinton and Vice President Gore,

Your administration has a historic opportunity to save Snake
River salmon from extinction. In order to save these
legendary fish, you must follow the advice of scientists and
include the removal of the Snake River dams as the
cornerstone of your salmon recovery plan.

Biologists tell us that bypassing the four lower Snake River
dams is the surest way to restore wild salmon, but the
federal recovery plan currently under consideration relies
on the same failed strategies we have tried for more than 20
years. Before you leave office, please tell your agencies to
improve their recovery plan by committing to begin removing
the four lower Snake River dams by 2005 if salmon
populations haven't shown dramatic recovery with other
methods. In the meantime, implement the short-term measures
essential to help the salmon survive -- such as fish
hatchery reforms, better water flows, habitat improvements,
and better harvest management -- and instruct federal
agencies to move ahead now with the necessary engineering
and economic studies.

Follow the advice of scientists and give wild Snake River
salmon their best chance for recovery. Please don't let
extinction be your legacy.

Sincerely,

[Your name and address]