NFC: Re: Native Fish Conservancy Digest V2 #350

In reference to the inquiries on the Banana Plant ( Nymphoides aquatica
)

Usually when this plant is acquired it has the more familiar shape we
see, with short stems,somewhat small pale green,
round leaves and " banana " type tubers below.

The plant develops from a slight swelling
below the mature lilly pad which is floating on the surface of the
water. Normal roots emerge with the new plant growing from there and
sending out it's own leaves. If
and when the new plant is detached and
allowed to float, the roots begin to shorten
and thicken taking on the appearance of
the " bananas " we are familar with.

If detached from the mother plant then
this stage must allow the new plant sufficient time to float to another
area
during which time the mother lilly pad gradually disintergrates and the
new plant sinks to the bottom to rest on the substrate and grow. Thus
beginning a
new colony.

If you push the banana plant into your substrate and anchor it there, it
will eventually begin to send lilly pads to the
surface. Make sure you do not submerge
ALL of the tubers below the gravel, keep the terminal bud above the
substrate. You
can begin to fertilize with either a liquid fertilizer or small pieces
of Job's Fern
Spikes and you will have as many banana
plants as you will ever need. Please understand my comments here are
strictly my observations and deductions.

                         Regards,

                         Leo

Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler'