Re: NFC: Re: Crayfish parasite? problem?

Thanks Bryce. Unfortunately they are not on my crayfish, so I don't have
any more info or access to the crayfish or "worm". I was asked by an
internet acquaintance, that knows I have and interest in Crayfish. If I can
get any more info, I'll surely pass it along and I will definitely pass on
your comments to him.

Ty

I'm not exactly sure w/o seeing the worms, but there are worms of the
family
Branchiobdellidae that are obligate parasites on crayfish only.  The
interesting thing I learned about these creatures is that they're very
species specific on which crayfish plays the host role.  It seems to
researchers that with every new crayfish species, there is assumed to be a
new species of branchiobdellid worm.  I'm no crayfish expert, but my major
professor I had in grad school was a crayfish taxonomist, and I gleaned
this
info from our relationship.  So, take it for what it's worth.  I think the
only way to be sure, though, would be to identify the worm with a key.  If
you're interested, contact me, and I'll see what I can do in regards to
finding out what this critter is.  I can also pass this info on to my old
professor and I'm sure he'd be interested to think and reply about it.
--Bryce