NFC: Re: Please Help

Hi Jenni

My web page needs to be updated, you'll note the change in my e-mail addy.
:)  I'm also carbon copying the Native Fish COnservancy ailing List on
this mailing, as well as your quoted message below my signature.
THe Native Fish Conservancy is a non profit organisation devoted to
protecting native fishes, their habitats, and spreading education and
information about them.  Lots and lots of information is available on our
web page, www.nativefish.org.  You may also want to explore some of the
links, especially those about introduced species.
Introduced species throughout the country and world -- especially in the
Great Lakes Area and Florida -- are a serious threat to native fishes, and
the reason why the Exotics Removal Program (ERP) exists.  In Florida, many
tropical fish, presumably introduced by a number of means from the
Tropical Fish Hobby, are a serious threat.  Many of these are larger
cichlisd, and outright prey on smaller fish and outcompete them in
spawning beds.  In the Northern Parts of our contry, the Great Lakes are
threatened by a number of species of fishes and other critters.  These
include such species as the Round Goby, threatening to push various
sculpins and darters to extinction, the Ruffe (just like "rough") which
threatens numerous species with its prolific breeding habits, and smaller
critters, such as Zebra Mussels -- which I'm sure you'll find volumes on
in any web search.
Various plants are also a big threat to species.  For instance, Purple
Loosestrife forms thick, dense beds unsuitable as habitat for most fishes.
It outcompetes native plants, such as cattail and rice, for habitat hands
down.
Exotic Species intervention is a great way to turn a report.  You may also
want to look at some of the species which have been lost to habitat
destruction.  UNfortunately, none immediatley come to mind.  Some
suggestions to look at are what happens to darters when streams become
polluted, as many species are very sensitive to pollution in streams.
Remember, pollution isn't always muck from a factory -- it can be the
power company dumping absolutely clean water into a stream, at a constant
temp. of 20 degrees C. It can be someone cutting down the trees around the
stream, resulting in increased algae growth.  Pollution takes a lot of
forms, be creative. :)
As to your mention of the Blacknosed Dace as extinct... I think you need
to do a little more research.  The BND is alive and well, and a very, very
prolific species (as are many of the species in its genus.)  Perhaps you
are reffering to aspecific subspecies oI'm not aware of, or you simply
mean extrapated from an area?  (Extrapated species are one's that are
"extinct" from an area, such as a pond that no longer holds a species of
fish, or mountain lions from the Northeast.)

end
  ____^__
><,Darwin,>
Joshua L. Wiegert
NFC Lists Administrator                          JLW at pi_dune.net
www.geocities.com/RainForest/Jungle/1680/        owner-nfc at actwin_com
ICQ 69551951                                     AIM UID: Etheosoma
Feel free to contact me by any of the above means for any reason.
returns a list of other commands, or feel free to contact me at
Owner-NFC at actwin_com.  All lists are @actwin.com. Come join us and chat
about our native fishes, or visit http://www.nativefish.org!