NFC: Re: Native Fish Conservancy Digest V2 #314

REMOVE FROM LIST
----- Original Message -----
From: "Native Fish Conservancy Digest" <NFC-Owner at actwin_com>
To: <NFC at actwin_com>
Sent: Sunday, November 12, 2000 3:18 AM
Subject: Native Fish Conservancy Digest V2 #314

> Native Fish Conservancy Digest Sunday, November 12 2000 Volume 02 : Number
314

> In this issue:
>
> Re: NFC: Gainesville Mud collecting anf the fundulus we found
> Re: NFC: Gainesville Mud collecting anf the fundulus we found
>
> See the end of the digest for information on unsubscribing from the
> NFC Digest mailing list and on how to retrieve back issues.

> Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2000 23:24:30 -0500
> From: "Scott D. Goett" <sdgoett at ufl_edu>
> Subject: Re: NFC: Gainesville Mud collecting anf the fundulus we found
>
> Sorry to hear fish collecting sucked.  I am still sorry I missed it but I
> guess I don't feel as bad.  Sorry I didn't show up though.  Some family
came
> to town and I took them to the parade.  Still hope to get to go, but I
think
> it might be getting a little cold.  I can stand the cold if we can still
> find fish, so don't count me out because of that.
>
> Scott
>

> robert a rice wrote:
>
> > Well me and Doug Dame took a trip to Watermelon pond. With the current
> > drought sadly it is no pond it is a swamp! We had to traverse a 50 plus
> > yard mud flat (knee deep and more) to reach the 1-2 feet water with yes
> > you guessed it knee deep mud. SO after an couple of hours of swamping we
> > collected 20 or so fundulus linnelatus several hundred pounds of mud and
> > a general feeling that poe springs would have been better.
> >
> > I'll allow Doug to wax on about our collecting prowess :)
> >
> > Robert Rice
> > Save those Fishes,  Join the Native Fish Conservancy
> > http://www.nativefish.org
> > Love those gartersnakes? visit
> > http://gartersnake.net
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2000 00:13:58 -0500
> From: "Doug Dame" <dameda at shands_ufl.edu>
> Subject: Re: NFC: Gainesville Mud collecting anf the fundulus we found
>
> Robert Rice wrote:
>
> >>   Well me and Doug Dame took a trip to Watermelon pond. ...
> >>  <snipped>  ... sadly it is no pond it is a swamp! ... <more snipped>
> >>  ... I'll allow Doug to wax on about our collecting prowess :)
>
> Which I read a while ago but I hadn't yet figured how to best respond,
until ...

> ... Scott Goett wrote:
>
> >>  Sorry to hear fish collecting sucked.  ..<snipped>
>

> .. which put me on the right track.
>
> It wasn't that the fishing was so bad ... it wasn't especially good in
terms of tons of keepers per man(person-year expended .... but that "the
story of the day" is that the predominant noise-effect was in fact huge
slurping suck noises whenever we (foolishly) attempted to move laterally. Of
course, we had to try to do that fairly regularly, because of our latent
fears that in the absence of concerted efforts otherwise, the default
movement would be the vertical dimension.

> However, the fishes for the most part found the whole thing to be vastly
entertaining. "Two Fins Up!" says the Fundulus Fun Club & Glee Society of
Watermelon Pond, "Continuous hilarious antics. The slow-motion mime parodies
of Michael Jackson moon-walking were particularly superb. Funniest thing to
hit these shores since Jerry Lewis. Robert Rice, returning to these parts
for the first time since producing and starring in a hit show eight months
ago, played the part of the large stupid human as if born to the role. Doug
Dame, debuting in the role of the small stupid human, was likewise perfectly
cast as Boy Mudster."

> In other news, according to Fisheriff Department's spokesfish Fundulus
"Barbara Wawa" lineolatus, a number of spectators to yesterday afternoon's
performance at the Fun Club & Glee Society have been reported missing. "It's
unfortunate, but this seems to always happen  whenever the human circus and
freak show comes to town. Some of the kids get too excited, they lose their
situational awareness, some run away and others just get swept away into
situations beyond their experience. Sadly, we rarely ever see any of them
again." According to the Sherfish's Office, all 22 members of Mrs. Fundulus
"Juanita Belzior's" lineolatus's Remedial First Grade Class for the
Incredibly Stupid and Slow are missing (including Mrs. FJBl herself and her
spouse), as are three members of a Fundulus chrysotus family from the really
shallow area over there. However, no residents of  Gloriosus Estates,
Heter-Town or Gambusia MobileHomePark have been reported missing at this
time.