Re: NFC: NFC Conservation Project please read

Yep they wrote the article so we at the BOD could choose wether to
partner...we chose to sorry I wasnt clear about it...

On Wed, 1 Nov 2000 19:33:39 -0600 Ty_Hall at eFunds_Com writes:

> Funny..... The NFC is not mentioned anywhere in the article. Not
> even as a
> partner.
>
> Ty
>

> Our Proposed Nature Conservancy /NFC partnership project please feel
> free
> to add input.
>
> Here some info for you on the Conasauga River and it's Alliance.
>
> The Conasauga River flows undamed for over 100 miles before it joins
> the
> Coosawattee to form the Oostanaula river. It is part of the
> Alabama-Coosa-Tallapoosa river system. The watershed flows through
> various geographies creating much diversity. The watershed hosts
> some 90
> species of fish, 75 of which are native to the area. Some of these
> species include Blue Shiner, Conasauga Logperch, and Amber Darter,
> all
> are listed as threatened or endangered by the US Fish and Wildlife.
> The
> Conasauga is also host to some 25 species of freshwater mussels.
> Recently two species were found that had once been thought of as
> extinct.
> Some of the threats to the area include sedimentation, nutrient
> overloading, habitat destruction, and dewatering. These threats come
> from many sources, which include agriculture, residential
> development,
> and industry. This region is known as the carpet capital of the
> world.
> The industry supplies some two-thirds of the worlds carpet. This
> industry relies heavily on the Conasauga for water to be used in the
> dying process. Growth from a wealth of employment has push
> residential
> development well into the northern farmland sections of the
> watershed.
> With a large increase in drinking wells and septic tanks the
> Conasauga
> is seeing large impacts. Another problem with this unregulated
> growth is
> the slow removal of farmland in the area. Lack of farmland
> protection
> and estate planning is forcing families to sell there farms to
> developers. Argiculture is a large part of the middle sections of
> the
> Conasauga. poultry and row cropping are the two largest agricultural
> practices. This type of work threatens the Conasauga with nutrients
> and
> toxic chemicals.
> So where does the Alliance come into the picture? In 1995, the
> Limestone
> Valley Resource Conservation and Development Council secured a grant
> from the Natural Resources Conservation Service to study the river.
> This
> "ecosystem-based assistance project" encouraged local citizens to
> provide input on the challenges facing the Conasauga River
> watershed.
> [...]

Robert Rice
Save those Fishes,  Join the Native Fish Conservancy
http://www.nativefish.org
Love those gartersnakes? visit
http://gartersnake.net