Re: NFC: raising crickets

I've gone several different routes raising crickets.  The more "approved"
route was a tank (10 gal work fine).  A layer of pine shavings.  Stacked
paper tubes (like insided paper towels or tp).  Threw in a handful of high
quality dog food & an occassional chunk of potato.  Tuna can w/ a sponge cut
to fit for a water dish.  Whenever I needed crickets, I just grabbed a tube
& shook it into a bag.  Worked fairly well, but did stink despite frequent
cleanings.

Less approved method but worked GREAT (no stink, no cleaning).  I took an
empty fish tank, put aquarium gravel @4" deep, stuck in a few pockets of
soil (about a cup of silt & sand mixture & charcoal mixture...my special
potting soil blend :) ), took some dried spagnum moss and put a single layer
of that.  Added water to the tank to within @1" (tried to create hills &
valleys in the gravel) of the gravel.  Set a saucer w/ food (usually the
good dog food) in an area easy to see, added crickets, and never looked
back.  (I also stuck in some spiderplant babies for appearance).  I've never
seen so many crickets in my life!  But I did have to work a little harder to
get them out & size sorted.

Incidentally, I had this tank in my bedroom for a while.  I never smelled it
but the #@$~!* singing got old after about 1/2 hour!

Good luck!