NFC: Fw: URGENT ACTION ALERT on Historic Nature Funding Bill (HT20L091)

NATIONAL WILDLIFE FEDERATION E-MAIL ALERT       9/22/00

URGENT REQUEST FOR ACTION:  You helped bring the most significant
conservation funding bill in history to the brink of passage -- but some
in Congress are looking for a way out of finishing the job.  Please tell
Congress and President Clinton:  Pass CARA now!

robert rice
3635 nw 68th lane
gainesville, FL   32653

WHAT'S AT STAKE

A few weeks ago you asked Congressional leaders to pass sweeping land and
wildlife conservation legislation this year, in response to a Juno e-mail
alert.  Thanks in part to your efforts, 63 Senators have signed onto a
letter of support urging quick vote on the "Conservation and Reinvestment
Act," or CARA.  The House of Representatives has already voted
overwhelmingly for CARA.

But some in Congress want to avoid a long-term commitment to
conservation.  Congressional leaders are negotiating with President
Clinton to create a "quick-fix" version of CARA that will support a more
limited range of conservation activities than CARA would, with half as
much money, for only six years.

This so-called "Lands Legacy" proposal has been dubbed CARA "lite."  But
with the increasing loss of wildlife habitat and open space to urban
sprawl, forest clearcutting and wetlands conversion, what our nation
needs is CARA "whole."  Over 5000 conservation groups, local governments,
historic preservationists and other organizations have supported CARA
because the bill does so many things for our environment. CARA would
provide:

>>cities with needed funds to build and restore urban parks and
recreation centers;

>>coastal shorelines with help to restore wetlands damaged by oil
drilling and other destructive activities;

>>critical support for wildlife before they become threatened and
endangered; and

>>state and federal programs that will allow for the voluntary purchase
of open space and recreational areas.

WHY ACT NOW

We can't let Congress make a quick fix deal that short-changes our
children's future.  We need to make sure that Congress passes CARA
"whole."  Congressional leaders are meeting with President Clinton over
the next 3-4 DAYS to negotiate the outcome of CARA, so NOW is the time to
ask the President to stand tough and support CARA.

HOW TO HELP

Because time is so short, please send an email, fax or call President
Clinton with this message:  Our nation needs the long-term funding for
multiple conservation needs that CARA provides.  The "Lands Legacy"
proposal is no substitute.  Here are some specific points you can make:

This proposal does not fulfill the promise of the Conservation and
Reinvestment Act (CARA).

With CARA, Congress would finally keep a promise made in 1965:  to use a
portion of the $4 billion-plus the U.S. Treasury receives each year in
offshore oil and gas drilling leases for natural resource protection
nationwide.  "Lands Legacy" abandons that obligation.

The funding in the "Lands Legacy" proposal is not guaranteed.

CARA would provide reliable dedicated funding for a broad array of
programs that have been traditionally underfunded.  The "Lands Legacy"
proposal continues to leave funding for these programs at the whim of
Congress.  This falls far short of the dependable funding CARA would
provide.

The "Lands Legacy" proposal will not provide adequate funding for
state-based wildlife conservation efforts.

CARA provides $350 million for the conservation and restoration of
historically underfunded nongame wildlife species.  Without enough
funding for these programs, more expensive, "emergency room" conservation
efforts will be necessary to prevent extinction.

Here's how to contact President Clinton:

White House Comments Line: 202-456-1111
White House Fax: 202-456-2461
E-mail: president at whitehouse_gov

Thanks for your help at this critical time.  If CARA becomes law, it will
be the most significant investment in conservation this country has made
in a generation.  We need to let Congress know that nothing less is
acceptable for our nation's natural resources.  For more information,
check out http://www.nwf.org/naturefunding on the web.

Sincerely,

James S. Lyon
Director for Legislative Affairs

PLEASE LET NWF KNOW YOU TOOK ACTION BY REPLYING TO THIS E-MAIL MESSAGE
(LEAVE THE SUBJECT LINE INFORMATION INTACT).

IMPORTANT REMINDERS:

*If you contact your lawmaker via e-mail, make sure your include your
full name and mailing address in the message.

*For more information about conservation issues and how you can help,
visit the nwf web site at www.nwf.org.

National Wildlife Federation, 8925 Leesburg Pike, Vienna, VA  22184
1-800-822-9919