Re: NFC: WORLD NEWS REVIEW, Tuesday, September 19, 2000 (fwd)

I've heard of this from realtives in the Perryton area. As if water is
not already at a premium there, things will get that much tougher. I
hear good offers are being made for property water rights. The thing
is this - if one farmer/rancher sells "his" part of the aquifer, then
everyone else will be affected. Since the whole system is
connected, all it takes is for one guy to be bought out. Others
holding out can't do anything. Since the rate of replenishment is
relatively low, water levels will keep on dropping. It doesn't take a
rocket scientist to figure out that this screws everything up in the
worst way for all future generations in the area. The land will
potentially become worthless. Sort of sounds like an underground
version of the tapping of the Colorado several decades back...

Matt

Follow-Ups: References: