Re: NFC: ERP IS BACK!!!

Luke (mcclurgl at washburn_edu) wrote:

...question: How do you "enforce" this restriction?
Ten generations down the line, who knows what fish
came from where and what grandpa promised to
whom?  The idea shows thought, but I feel is totally
unworkable.

Point well taken, this is not "enforceable" in any reasonably practical way, it's effectiveness would clearly depend on an honor system / moral commitment on the part of the recipients of ERT-provided exotics.

However, the current "re-distribution of fish rule" implies that we take care of this issue simply by shipping (southern) exotic fish north of the Mason Dixon line. Enforcement by presumed biology, I guess. That doesn't seem to offer a very good level of environmental protection in my admittedly amateur opinion. In many cases we seem to have these problems with nonindigenous species precisely because we didn't understand the bio-implications or adaptability of critters that were intentionally introduced with nominally good intentions. To paraphrase the chaos theory character from Jurassic Park, "Life will find a way."

A somewhat extremist view would be to decide that any and all nonindigeous critters collected by NFC recognized ERTs will be (humanely) killed, on-site or as soon as is reasonably possible. This would presumably cut down on the "feral recidivism" rate. This seems extreme to me, we could be killing ERT-caught U.S. specimens of some fish at the same time that LFS and consumer demand is causing the continued wild-capture of the same species in the Amazon or elsewhere.

Ten generations down the line, who knows
what fish came from where and what grandpa
promised to whom?

Well, my answer to that is that ten generations down the line, I desperately hope that we are not tracking "this fish came from a restricted use parentage, but these two over here didn't."   I hope by then we'll have elevated the general level of public awareness on the issue, through use of our unenforceable "no re-release" policy etc., to the point that EVERYONE will accept, as an article of unquestionable faith, that WE NEVER RELEASE NON-INDIGENOUS  "PETS" INTO THE WILD, PERIOD.

HTH

Doug Dame
Interlachen/Gainesville FL