NFC: Fw: DEP's First Impaired Waters Rulemaking Workshop

Friends of Clean Water -

On Thursday, September 7th at 9:00 am, the DEP is holding the first
rulemaking workshop on its proposed TMDL (Total Maximum Daily Load) rule.
We have been sending out emails about the ongoing development of this
rule
for the past six months, so check past emails for more details on the
history of this rule.  The workshop will be held at the Dept. of
Corrections
Building on Blair Stone Road in Classroom B.   It is important that at
least
one representative from your group attend this workshop or the one on
September 21 in Orlando if at all possible.  North Florida groups may
want
to attend the Tallahassee meeting for convenience.

As we have stressed before, our best hope for cleaning up Florida's
polluted
waters is to get them listed on the impaired waters list (303-d list) and
then pollution loads set for them.  DEP's obvious agenda is to reduce the
number of waters on this list as much as possible.  Politically powerful
polluters such as the pulp and paper industry, the phosphate industry,
the
electric power companies, agriculture, the timber industry and others are
having a strong influence on this rule and DEP's decisions.  Your
involvement and  that of  vast numbers of citizens across the state is
critical to our efforts to get our polluted waters cleaned up.

DEP says it will have a new draft of the proposed rule by Friday.  We
will
forward it to you as soon as we receive it.  Also, we are working on our
comments about the rule to assist you in your understanding of it.  It
would
be great if we could get some carpools organized from different areas to
help people attend the meeting.  Contact us if you would like to be part
of
a carpool.

Remember the final rule-adoption hearing will be on December 5th, unless
DEP
changes it for some reason.  That will be the most important event which
we
will need lots of citizens to turn out for.

Thanks for your interest in this campaign to clean up Florida's polluted
waters,

Grace Frances, Field Organizer
Clean Water Network
P.O. Box 254