Re: NFC: RE: Native Fish Keeping

Also, if you are going to get serious about native fish it's a good idea to
pick up a copy of Peterson's Field Guide to Freshwater fish. Go to the NFC
website and click on the Amazon.com button, when you order, and the NFC
gets a percentage of the sale.

You didn't specify, but are you looking to replace the tropicals with
natives, or mix them together? As Paul mentioned things can get a little
tricky when mixing them. I had assumed that you would be removing the
tropicals.

Ty

Blendia,

Bet you had fun :)

The fish should be fine as you say, pull them inside before the tank has a
chance of freezing solid.

As for mixing fish:

This has always been the part which takes the most thought.  All fish have
behavior which makes them more or less suitable for a community tank such
as
your 125.  In general catfish - minnows are suited for a community tank.
So
mixing them in and introducing them on a first name basis to your
'tropical'
fish (if they are community fish) should be easy.

Although, you may not have minnows :)  So, identification is a good idea.
Also watch their behavior... (native I mean) and go to the library or
search
the net and find info on the fish :)  There's a bunch of pics at NFC =
www.nativefish.org 's got a great pic archive, and some great info!

Paul