NFC: Fw: (Fwd) CARA Update and Action (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2000 22:44:39 -600
From: Chuck & Jaye Otte <otte at jc_net>
To: Kansas Nongame Wildlife Advisory Council <otte at jc_net>,
     Kansas Teaming with Wildlife  <otte at jc_net>
Subject: (Fwd) CARA Update and Action

To: Friends of CARA/TWW

From: Naomi Edelson and Jeremy Ames, Intl. Assoc. of Fish and Wildlife
Agencies

Date: 23 August 2000

Re: CARA Update and Action Needed

Just a few weeks left until Congress comes back and they can start acting
on CARA again!! TO MAKE SURE THEY DO, we have three main actions to
undertake in the last part of August into September (but note early Sept.
deadlines for some of them).  PLEASE HELP.  Again, you will hear from
some
that CARA is already doomed due to the limited Senate calender before the
scheduled October 6th adjournment.  IF WE UNDERTAKE THESE ACTIONS BELOW,
we
can make sure CARA PASSES THIS YEAR!!!! The opposition is very active
right
now - but we are bigger and better - let's prove it!

Summary of Actions:

1. Senate Leadership Letter

2. Coalition Sign-On Letter

3. Countdown to CARA Rally, Sept. 21st

1. Several senators are circulating a letter to other Senators that will
then go to the Senate leadership (Senators Lott and Daschle) encouraging
them  to work together to get CARA to the Senate Floor in September. To
date Senators DeWine, Warner, Abraham,  Baucus, Feinstein, Graham,
Murkowski, Landrieu, Bingaman, Moynihan, and Spector have singed on!  If
you haven't yet, please contact your Senator's office asking them to sign
on. The text of the letter is below.  THIS IS A VERY IMPORTANT effort -
our
goal is to get AT LEAST 60 Senators.  Since we can not get additional
cosponsors for the Senate CARA bill this is the best way for your Senator
to show support for CARA. It will send a very strong signal to the Senate
leadership and opposing senators that CARA can pass once brought to the
Senate floor.  We need to get as many Senators as possible to sign on to
this letter to convince the leadership to move CARA forward.  Call your
Senators today (Capitol Switchboard: 202-224-3121), ask for the staffer
that is working on CARA, and ask them to have their boss sign on to the
CARA Letter to the Leadership.  Make sure that they realize how important
CARA is to your state. To sign on to the letter, Senate staff should
contact Robert Hoffman or Chris Maharidge in Senator DeWine's office at
202-224-2315 or Jason Schendle in Senator Landrieu’s office at
202-224-5824.

2. As part of the final push to get CARA through the Senate and enacted
this year, the CARA Coalition is coordinating group sign-on letters in
all
50 states so that Senators know how popular CARA is in their state. The
letter is very general and tries to capture all of the major
constituencies
that will benefit from passage of CARA.
The goal now is to get as many groups on this letter as possible! Each
letter will include groups from your state only and we're shooting for at
least 200 signatories per letter. We're looking for diversity:
conservation
(bird clubs,  sportsmen groups, local land trusts,  friends of parks
groups, etc); recreation groups (Little Leagues, Girl Scouts, soccer
teams,
etc.);  coastal and watershed organizations, historic preservation, civic
groups (Rotary clubs, 4-H clubs, Garden Clubs, etc.); businesses (outdoor
recreation companies, outfitters, travel and tourism companies); state
and
locally elected government officials; and state and local agencies
representing these interests or any others! Anyone who cares about
nature,
enjoys outdoor recreation, and appreciates our country's historical
treasures would benefit from CARA and should sign on to this letter!
Please
circulate the letter to anyone affiliated with any groups or agencies
that
you think would like to sign on.  Contact the team leader in your state
add your group to the letter (list at bottom).

3. Mark your calendars. September 21st the CARA coalition is organizing a
final Countdown to CARA Rally in Washington DC. This is the tentative
agenda:

8:30 — 9:30am Welcome Breakfast (Rm. SC5, Capitol)
We will have parks, wildlife, historic preservation and coastal interests
attending.  We will invite CARA supporters from the House and Senate to
speak.

9:30am — Noon Meet with your senators/staff  (start requesting these
meetings now!)

12:30 — 2:30pm Rally in front of the Senate Chamber
Come show your support for CARA! We will also be honoring members of
Congress who have supported
CARA, and encouraging them to get the bill to the President’s desk ASAP.

To register for the Rally go to www.teaming.com, hotel information will
be
posted by the end of the week. Please plan to send someone from your
state
to the rally.

Despite strong support, CARA is still very much in danger of slipping
through the cracks with the Senate's limited schedule. We need to show
Congress and the White House the widespread and diverse support CARA has.
It's now or never, let's get this bill passed!

Below are the texts of the letters mentioned above as well as the state
contact list for the group sing-on letter.

TEXT OF LETTER TO LOTT AND DASCHLE:

Dear Leaders:

On July 25th, the Committee on Energy and Natural Resources favorably
reported H.R. 701, the Conservation and Reinvestment Act (CARA). We
encourage you to schedule this important legislation for consideration by
the full Senate in September. The bill had bipartisan support in the
Committee, including the Chairman and Ranking Democratic Member and it
was
overwhelmingly passed by the House of Representatives on May 11th. In
addition, CARA is supported by Governors, Mayors and a coalition of 4,500
organizations from throughout the country.

The Conservation and Reinvestment Act is landmark legislation that makes
15 year commitment to conservation programs benefiting all 50 states. It
reinvests revenues earned from the depletion of a nonrenewable asset -
oil
and gas reserves on the Outer Continental Shelf - for the protection and
enhancement of our natural and cultural heritage, threatened coastal
areas,
and wildlife. It also reinvests in our local communities and our children
through enhanced outdoor recreational opportunities. By enacting CARA, we
can ensure that this century begins with the most significant commitment
of
resources to conservation ever.

We appreciate your support of CARA and look forward to working with you
enact this historic legislation before the adjournment of the 106th
Congress.

Signed by Senators - GOAL OF AT LEAST 61 SENATORS

Model letter for groups to sign-on too - please adapt as you wish for
your
state.

The Honorable XXX
U.S Senate
Washington, DC 20510

Dear Senator XXX:

As civic and community leaders in (list your state here), we are writing
ask you for your leadership in passing the “Conservation and Reinvestment
Act” (CARA), this year’s landmark conservation legislation.

The bipartisan compromise Conservation and Reinvestment Act, crafted by
Energy and Natural Resources Chairman Frank Murkowski and Senator Jeff
Bingaman, Ranking Democrat, passed Committee in a solid bipartisan
vote.  CARA represents a strong and balanced approach that would protect
parks, wildlife, coastlines, and cultural and historic sites at the
national, state, and local levels for years to come.  In May, the House
of
Representatives overwhelming passed a similar bipartisan proposal, 315 to
102, with a majority of both parties supporting the bill. (list your
state)
would receive approximately $XXX annually under the bill.

In asking for your leadership, we believe:

·       CARA reflects American values. A Tarrance Group poll found that
an
overwhelming majority of Americans favored the protection of more parks
and
open spaces as a means to enhance their quality of life.  Three out of
every four (75%) voters in the U.S. favor setting up a permanent land and
water conservation trust fund to protect the land, water, wildlife and
other natural resources of our country.

·       CARA has been endorsed by more than 5,400 organizations and
elected
officials nationwide, including all fifty state governors, U.S.
Conference
of Mayors, National Association of Counties, U.S. Chamber of Commerce,
the
nation’s major conservation organizations, land trusts, sportsman’s
organizations, outdoor recreation and sporting goods industries, Major
League Baseball, U.S. Soccer Federation, National Football League and the
youth sports community, including youth soccer and Pop Warner Football.

·       CARA is a program that returns conservation funds to states and
local communities. Eighty percent of the money in the bill will be
provided
to the states for conservation and restoration projects that reflect
local
concerns and needs. Most CARA-funded projects also require the commitment
of matching funding by the states and local governments.

·       CARA will help protect wildlife and prevent endangered species
trainwrecks. By providing funds to address the unmet needs of wildlife
and
associated habitats, including non-game species, CARA will nearly double
the federal funds available for wildlife conservation.

Right now, the Senate has a unique opportunity to provide, through
bipartisan legislation, a permanent investment in our nation’s quality of
life.  We urge you to take advantage of this opportunity and work with
your
colleagues towards passage of conservation and reinvestment legislation
this year. Our cities and communities are counting on you to help us
preserve our natural heritage for generations to come.

Sincerely,

(remember the goal is at least 200 groups!!)

Sign-on Lettter Contact List Info: We have state contacts for every state
(see below; it will also be posted to www.teaming.com on 8/23 - click on
the "sign-on letter" banner). Respond directly to them with contact
information (Contact name, Organization name, Address, Phone and E-mail)
or
to ask for information.

DEADLINE to sign a group on: September 7!

ALABAMA
Pat Byington
Americans for Our Heritage & Recreation
Southeast Office
205-226-7739
pkbyington at aol_com

ALASKA
Martha Levensaler
National Wildlife Federation
907-258-4810
levensaler at nwf_org

John Schoen
National Audubon Society
907-276-7034
jschoen at audubon_org

ARIZONA
Ira Rubins
AZ Parks & Recreation Assoc.
602-335-1962
irubins at azpra_org

ARKANSAS
Nancy Ledbetter
Arkansas Game and Fish Commission
501-223-6318
NLedbetter at agfc_state.ar.us

CALIFORNIA
Myra Wilensky
National Wildlife Federation
619-296-8353
wilensky at nwf_org

COLORADO
Jared Boigon
Americans for Our Heritage & Recreation
Intermountain West Office
303-887-2783
rockymountainahr at sprynet_com

CONNECTICUT
Patty Pendergast
CT Forest & Park Assoc.
860-346-2372
winterwren at earthlink_net

DELAWARE
Ken Reynolds
Delaware Division of Fish & Wildlife
302-653-2882
kreynolds at DNREC_state.de.us

FLORIDA
Misty Penton
Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission
(850) 488-3940
pentonm at gfc_state.fl.us

GEORGIA
Mike Rollins
Georgia Recreation and Park Association
912/764-5637
mrollins1rec at hotmail_com

HAWAII
Karen Blue
Conservation Council of Hawaii
808-968-6360
pheartp at aloha_net

IDAHO
Joe LaTourette
Americans for Our Heritage & Recreation
Pacific Northwest Office
360-754-2324
dipodomy at gte_net

ILLINOIS
Bob Castile
Illinois Dept. of Natural Resources
217-782-4963
bcastille at dnr_mail.state.il.us

INDIANA
Betsy Ingle
Indiana Division of Fish & Wildlife
317-232-4080
ingle at fw_dnr.state.in.us

IOWA
Kim Bogenshutz
Iowa Department of Natural Resources
515-432-2823
kbogens at opencominc_com

KANSAS
Laura Kelly
Kansas Recreation and Park Association
785-235-6533
laura at krpanet_org

KENTUCKY
Robert Gobin
Kentucky Recreation and Park Society, Inc.
(606) 858-3757
benefits at KRPS-KY_org

LOUISIANA
Randy Lanctot
Louisiana Wildlife Federation
225-344-6762
lawildfed at aol_com

MAINE
Tom St. Hilaire
Americans for Our Heritage and Recreation
202-429-2666
tsthilaire at ahrinfo_org

MARYLAND
Edith Thompson
Maryland Department of Natural Resources
410-260-8555
ethompson at dnr_state.md.us

MASSACHUSETTS
Robin Childs
Executive Office of Environmental Affairs
617-626-1151
robin.childs at state_ma.us

MICHIGAN
Peter McKeever
Americans for Our Heritage & Recreation
Midwest Office
608-223-1275
heartlakec at aol_com

MINNESOTA
Carrol Henderson
MN Dept. of Natural Resources
651-296-0700
Carrol.Henderson at DNR_state.mn.us

MISSISSIPPI
Pat Byington
Americans for Our Heritage & Recreation
205-226-7739
pkbyington at aol_com

MISSOURI
Cheryl Riley
Teaming with Wildlife Coordinator
573-893-8100
criley at tallgrass-inc_com

MONTANA
Rich Day
National Wildlife Federation
406-721-6705
dayr at nwf_org

NEBRASKA
Ross Lock
Nebraska Game and Parks Commission
402-471-5438
rloc at ngpc_state.ne.us

NEVADA
Mike Wickersham
Nevada Division of Wildlife
702-486-5133
mwickrsh at govmail_state.nv.us

NEW HAMPSHIRE
Brian Hart
Citizens for NH Land and Community Heritage
603-230-9729
bhart at igc_org

NEW JERSEY
Kate McGuire
New Jersey Division of Fish, Game & Wildlife
609-292-1244
kmcguire at dep_state.nj.us

NEW MEXICO
Zoe Van Raan
Conservation Voter's Alliance
505-954-4561
zoejud at cybermesa_com

NEW YORK
John Major
NYSDEC Bureau of Wildlife Communications Unit
518-457-3730
jxmajor at gw_dec.state.ny.us

NORTH CAROLINA
Mike Waters
NC Recreation & Park Society
919-832-5868
mike_ncrps at hotmail_com

NORTH DAKOTA
Rich Day
National Wildlife Federation
406-721-6705
dayr at nwf_org

OHIO
Kendra Wecker
Ohio Division of Wildlife
(614) 265-7043
Kendra.Wecker at dnr_state.oh.us

OKLAHOMA
Ron Suttles
Oklahoma Department of Wildlife Conservation
405-521-3851
rsuttles at oklaosf_state.ok.us

OREGON
Joe LaTourette
Americans for Our Heritage & Recreation
Pacific Northwest Office
360-754-2324
dipodomy at gte_net

PENNSYLVANIA
Tom Gilbert
Americans for Our Heritage & Recreation
Mid-Atlantic Office
609-818-1776
tgilbert at igc_org

RHODE ISLAND
Joe Dias
Rhode Island Dept. of Environmental Management
401-222-2776 x3401
jdias at dem_state.ri.us

SOUTH CAROLINA
Suzanne Veaudry
National Wildlife Federation
404-876-2602
veaudry at nwf_org

SOUTH DAKOTA
Eileen Dowd Stukel
South Dakota Game, Fish & Parks Department
605-773-4229
eileend at GFP_STATE.SD.US

TENNESSEE
Robert M. Hatcher
Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency
615-781-6670
bhatcher at mail_state.tn.us

Suzanne Veaudry
National Wildlife Federation
404-876-2602
veaudry at nwf_org

TEXAS
Larry Pressler
Texas Recreation and Park Society
956-682-1517
parks at ci_mcallen.tx.us

UTAH
Terry Messmer
Utah State University
Department of Fisheries & Wildlife
435-797-3975
terrym at ext_usu.edu

VERMONT
Scott Darling
Vermont Fish & Wildlife Department
802-241-3117
sdarling at fwd_anr.state.vt.us

VIRGINIA
David Whitehurst
Dept. of Game & Inland Fisheries
804-367-0940
davewhitehurst at dgif_state.va.us

Jeff Waldon
Dept. of Fisheries & Wildlife Sciences, Virginia Tech
540-231-7348
fwiexchg at vt_edu

WASHINGTON
Joe LaTourette
Americans for Our Heritage & Recreation
Pacific Northwest Office
360-754-2324
dipodomy at gte_net

WEST VIRGINIA
Denise Obert
National Wildlife Federation
703-790-4334
obert at nwf_org

WISCONSIN
Mary Kay Sherer
WI Dept. of Natural Resources
608-266-5243
sherem at mail01_dnr.state.wi.us

Steve Thompson
WI Park & Recreation Assoc.
414-423-1210
wpra at execpc_com

Wyoming
Rich Day
National Wildlife Federation
406-721-6705
dayr at nwf_org

Naomi Edelson
International Assn. of Fish and Wildlife Agencies
444 N. Capitol St., NW
Suite 544
Washington DC 20001
tel: (202) 624-7890
fax: (202) 624-7891
IAFWA Website: http://www.sso.org/iafwa
Check out the Teaming with Wildlife web site: http://www.teaming.com

Chuck & Jaye Otte      mailto:otte at jc_net
613 Tamerisk
Junction City Kansas USA 66441
785-238-8800