Re: NFC: suckers - Really Good!

That's the kind of info I was looking for. I have heard the same comments,
but was unsure of whether there was any truth to them or not. I wonder if
it's the very adaptability of these and other "rough" fish that has
actually led to the misconceptions. It seems these fish are far less picky
about overall water conditions. Is it possible that by being able to out
last the more favored species they have given the impression that they
caused the problems? I mean, if all the Bass are gone and now we have
Suckers everywhere, then it must be because of the Suckers that the Bass
are gone. Flawed logic I admit, but I can see how the average person could
interpret it that way.

I'm going to check my books tonight and see if they are native to this area
and, if so, will continue to release them if/when they are caught.

Thanks Mark.

Ty

At 3:53 PM -0500 8/21/00, Ty_Hall at eFunds_Com wrote:
>My brother and I where out catfishing last night and he hooked into a
>fairly large sucker. The fish was probably around 12 - 15 inches long and
>we released it. It got me to thinking, I know that Carp can be detrimental
>to a watershed but what about Suckers? I have heard that they are bad and
>know of people that will kill them, if they catch them. But was wondering
>what's the truth. Are they good, bad or does it depend? Any comments?

Yes, suckers, gar, bowfin - trash fish!  That has to be one of the most
ignorant statements to ever leave a person's mouth  (Nothing against you,
Ty!).  I guess it's a kind of prejudice - "Those aren't the kind of fish we
like.   We like bass, bluegill, walleye, musky, grrrr!"  If you can find
any solid data that suggest that native non-game species are detrimental to
the ecosystem, I _really_ would like to see it.  You can find lots of
hearsay and opinions that "rough" fish somehow damage the sport fishery,
but I don't know of any scientific data that show that.  On the contrary,
the non-game fish provide prey for the game fish.  The healthiest most
productive systmes have the widest diversity of species.  Destruction of
habitat and the ecological bases of the systems are what lead to the
decline of the game fish.  That's why they are stocked so aggressively by
states.  The natural systems have been broken down and turned into dead
ponds with no structure or diversity.  Bring back the swamps!

Mark Binkley
Columbus Ohio USA            <))><
mbinkley at earthling_net