NFC: suckers!

My brother and I where out catfishing last night and he hooked into a
fairly large sucker. The fish was probably around 12 - 15 inches long and
we released it. It got me to thinking, I know that Carp can be detrimental
to a watershed but what about Suckers? I have heard that they are bad and
know of people that will kill them, if they catch them. But was wondering
what's the truth. Are they good, bad or does it depend? Any comments?

Ty