NFC: Fw: ACTION ALERT! Florida Fish Feeding Ban . . .

Reef Relief - http://www.reefrelief.org

           ACTION ALERT: Florida Fish Feeding Ban

       Florida Fish & Wildlife Conservation Commission
       holding public workshop Tuesday, July 25, 2000.

                         July 21, 2000
                   http://www.reefrelief.org
Items:
1) ACTION ALERT: Florida Fish Feeding Ban.
2) Reef Awareness Week BEGINS SUNDAY! :-)
3) Join our grassroots efforts to save the coral reefs.

1) ACTION ALERT: Florida Fish Feeding Ban.

The Florida Fish & Wildlife Conservation Commission (FFWCC)
is holding yet another public workshop Tuesday, July 25 in
Dania (Florida) to receive more input on the practice of
underwater feeding of marine wildlife in Florida waters.

On October 28th of last year we provided comments and our
position to the Commission (FFWCC) on this activity
justifying and requesting a rule to ban underwater fish
feeding in State waters. At the February 3rd meeting in
Jacksonville, Florida, we again testified before the
Commission on the ecological, public safety, and common
sense approach to addressing this issue.

Following substantial public testimony before and at that
meeting, the Commission voted to have staff draft a rule,
to be considered by the end of the year. Unfortunately, no
rule has yet been drafted.

Reef Relief's Scientific Advisor, Dr. Bill Alevizon has
prepared a "white paper" which summarizes, and expertly
references, available information supporting a rule to
prohibit the feeding of sharks and other marine wildlife
by divers and snorkelers in state waters. To view this
document in the Scientific Studies section of the Reef
Relief website, in its entirety, go to:

http://www.reefrelief.org/science_index.html

Look for the article titled, "A Case for Regulation of the
Feeding of Fishes and Other Marine Wildlife by Divers and
Snorkelers"

The problems associated with habitual feeding of wildlife
by humans have been well documented over the last 50 years.
That's why it is banned in state and national parks, and
most public places. Why should it be any different in the
marine environment?

ACTION NEEDED BY JULY 25, 2000:

1) The FFWCC Commission will hold a public workshop on Tuesday,
July 25th from 4 - 7 p.m. to take public comment on this
issue at the International Game Fish Association Fishing
Hall of Fame & Museum, 300 Gulfstream Way, Dania Beach, Fl.
Please attend and speak out!

2) We encourage those of you who sent letters and e-mail in
January, to remind the commission that you are still here and
your voice still counts!

And for those of you who are hearing about this for the first
time, we invite you to get your voice heard too.

Write the FFWCC Commission in support of the
Ban on Underwater Fish Feeding:

Ms. Julie K. Morris, Chair
Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission
New College Environmental Studies Program
5700 North Tamiami Trail
Sarasota, FL., 34243
phone: (941) 359-4299
fax: (941) 359-1543
email: marine at gfc_state.fl.us.

Dr. Russell Nelson, Director
Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission
620 So. Meridian Street
Tallahassee, FL., 32399-1600

To view a related Miami Herald article, goto:
http://www.reefrelief.org/document/whatsNew.html#BanFishFeeding

For even more information Contact Paul G. Johnson,
Reef Relief, Special Projects
phone: (850) 926-7439
email: PAULJ488 at AOL_COM.

Or Contact Reef Relief Headquarters:
phone: (305) 294-3100
email: reef at bellsouth_net.

2) REEF AWARENESS WEEK STARTS THIS SUNDAY!

To view the Reef Awareness Week Schedule online, goto:
http://www.reefrelief.org/RAW/index.html

Reef Relief is proud to announce that Reef Awareness Week is
set for July 23 through July 29 this year with their annual
theme “ we all live downstream . . .” This annual event is
designed to enhance appreciation and support for coral reefs.

Every day during Reef Awareness Week we will feature, on our
website, a short photo journey to various reefs around the
Caribbean. We will have rare slides from Cuban Reefs,
Grateful Diver Photo Contest Winners, and many other photos
from locations Reef Relief has worked to Preserve and Protect
Living Coral Ecosystems. To view the presentation daily goto:

http://www.reefrelief.org/RAW/index.html

For more information, a complete schedule or to become a
volunteer or sponsor please contact Reef Relief at
305) 294-3100 or email us at: reef at bellsouth_net.

3)  Join our grassroots efforts to save the coral reefs!

REEF RELIEF is a non-profit membership organization
dedicated to Preserve and Protect Living Coral Reef
Ecosystems through local, regional, and global efforts.

Reef Relief relies on memberships, contributions, and
volunteer efforts. Join our grassroots efforts to save the
reef! All contributions are tax deductible to the fullest
extent of the law.

The basic membership contribution of $30.00 entitles you to
a one year membership, the quarterly newsletter REEF LINE by
mail, a window decal, bumper sticker, invitations to special
events, and all membership privileges.

You may find out more and/or join online at:
http://www.reefrelief.org/membership.html

You may Contact and/or Visit us at:

        Reef Relief
        201 William Street
        P.O. Box 430
        Key West, Florida, 33041

        Phone: (305) 294-3100
        Fax:   (305) 293-9515
        email: reef at bellsouth_net
        web:   http://www.reefrelief.org

Here's an exciting new way to help Reef Relief at no cost to
you or to us. Become a member of iGive.com by going to this
URL on your internet browser:
http://www.igive.com/html/ssi.cfm?cid=10108
Shop for everyday items from leading online merchants in the
Mall at iGive.com and up to 15% of each purchase comes to us!