NFC: New Contest: My Collecting Stories

Most Adrenaline Pumping Story (Scariest, etc.)

I was about 16 and collecting in Sugar Creek, Hancock County, Indiana one
nice warm day.  When I pulled up the seine, I discovered it included a three
foot snake coming directly at me.  First time I ever pulled a snake and have
only done it one time since.  At the time, I was unaware that the odds were
extremely unlikely it was a poisonous snake.  It was probably a common
Northern Water Snake.  At the time, I was a city-boy who figured all water
snakes were Cottonmouths.
~~~~~~~~~~~~
Most Unbelievable (But still true!) Story.

I was about 18 and really bored one winter day.  I decided to go collecting.
Wearing only combat boots and jeans, I ended up breaking ice and wading in to
a cove at Geist Reservoir.  (Not sure my metabolism could handle that icy
water now.)

~~~~~~~~~~~~

 Funniest Story:

Caught my second snake at about age 19 in a seine net.  It looked sort of
like an 8" Coral Snake, but we are way out of their range.  I took it home
and threw it in my aquarium at my parents home; it disappeared pretty
quickly.  I never did find it.  And never mentioned the missing snake to my
Mom for 25 years.  I figured the Statute of Limitations were up by then.  I
was wrong.

Chuck Church
Indianapolis, Indiana USA

In a message dated 7/20/00 2:15:07 PM US Central Standard Time,