Re: NFC: warm tanks.....

Heres what I do and it seems to work fine.

1. Try to avoid direct afternoon sun on all the tanks.

2. Allow all sides but the front to get covered in algea it seems to slow
down the radiant heat.

3. I dont us filters in the tanksas it seems to get them 5 degrees warmer
than those without.

4. Heavily planted , usually water huacinth, water lettuce or cabomba

5. Live foods only, i keep a worm bin (ez to setup) , a mosquito pond and
a lower fish load that many folks

6. Water change 30 % every 10 days or so.

7. Use hanging florecent lights on the big tanks

as for a native that cleans algea try sailfin mollies  or florida
flagfish.

On Tue, 18 Jul 2000 12:28:15 -0400 Russell_McGraw at palmercay_com writes:

> here in Savannah, I have the same issue with temperature - my  tanks
> are on
> a screen porch with a western exposure and while the water isn't
> quite hot
> enough to parboil the critters,   if you
> can get
> away with it, maybe i can, too?

Robert Rice
Save those Fishes