Re: NFC: DP: Grass Pike- sexing

On Sun, 16 Jul 2000 15:47:38 -0700, nfc at actwin_com wrote:
>  > Anyone know how to sex Grass Pike?
>
>  No, and I suspect most of us don't really want to. ;-)

hehe...

My guess would be the females grow noticeably larger than the males, like
the other members of the genus. Not much to go by when viewing recent
additions to the home aquarium :(

I too would like to hear if anybody has succeded getting these fish to
spawn, or even knows how they do in the wild. My first guess would be that
they spawn in the spring, as the water temps rise, scattering their eggs
over mud and debris in slow-moving, shallow water (much like northern pike,
muskie, and chain pickerel).

But then again, somebody mentioned earlier this year that they witnessed a
male hovering over a nest. That could mean the pickerel have evolved with
different habits than their cousins, or that male was hovering over the nest
of a recently consumed meal :)

Let us know if you find anything out.

Say Bye to Slow Internet!
http://www.home.com/xinbox/signup.html