NFC: Fw: DEN ALERT: Help Support a Strong Conservation Funding Bill

DEN ALERT:
Support A Strong Funding Bill for Our Parks, Forests and Wildlife
Refuges

The Senate Energy and Natural Resources Committee is scheduled to
consider potentially historic legislation that would provide more
than $2.5 billion from off-shore oil and gas drilling royalties to
fund our last-remaining parklands, forests, undeveloped coastal
areas and wildlife habitat.

However, we need your help to ensure that the Conservation and
Reinvestment Act (CARA) is amended to correct a number of critical
conservation issues.  Problems in the bill include providing
incentives for more offshore oil drilling, providing funds for
damaging roads and other infrastructure, preventing dedicated Land
and Water Conservation Fund (LWCF) funds from being spent to protect
our national parks, wildlife refuges and forests, and failing to
ensure that funds given to states for wildlife conservation be spent
to benefit all wildlife.

WHAT YOU CAN DO:

Please take a minute and send a free fax to your senators urging them
to fix this legislation to ensure that an environmentally sound bill
is passed out of committee guaranteeing that CARA genuinely protects
our nation's special places. The committee vote is scheduled for
mid-July so YOUR COMMENTS ARE NEEDED ASAP!!

INSTRUCTIONS TO RESPOND VIA THE WEB:
If you have access to the web, simply click on the link below which
will take you to the DEN Action Center web site:

 			 http://www.denaction.org

                    http://www.defenders.org/den

or send an e-mail to denlines at defenders_org and put the word SUBSCRIBE
in the subject line.
If your e-mail address has changed, send an e-mail to
changeaddress at defenders_org and put your new e-mail address in the
subject line. Make sure you put nothing in the subject line other
than your new e-mail address.
Defenders of Wildlife is a leading national conservation organization
recognized as one of the nation's most progressive advocates for
wildlife and its habitat and known for its effective leadership on
saving endangered species such as brown bears and gray wolves, Defenders
advocates new approaches to wildlife conservation that protect species
before they become endangered. Founded in 1947, Defenders is a nonprofit
501(c)(3)organization with nearly 400,000 members and supporters.

                       Defenders of Wildlife
                  1101 14th Street, NW, Suite 1400
                       Washington, DC 20005
       	             http://www.defenders.org
                     http://www.kidsplanet.org

              Copyright (c) 2000 by Defenders of Wildlife.