Re: NFC: RE: Re: Umbrella Net

it does resemble a tent with only the flooring and a frame - no sides at
all (or an upside down umbrella with a really strange handle?).  the line
is attached to the top of the frame where all the legs meet.  it's just
lowered straight down and usually from a dock or bridge.
no "opening" is required.  the mesh sits flat on the bottom and the legs
form the tent frame so anything small enough to fit between the legs has a
chance of being captured (i've caught some right nice flounder in mine,
very tasty!).
slight currents are no problem but the mesh provides enought resistance to
the water that a 4 or 5 knot current can cause the net to come up sideways
on retrieval (sometimes that doesn't matter to the critters in it).  be
SURE you are dangling the net on the down current side of the bridge/dock
you are lowering it from or at least be sure you don't set it in the path
of a piling (here we have barnacles and oysters on everything and a net
caught in those is a net you'll replace.
the stronger the current, the heavier the weight you'll need to keep the
net in place (i have on occasion used a brick in some of my larger nets).
makes it tough to bring up but the pocket is deep enought the shrimp and
fish can't easily escape even when the net comes up at a steep angle.

Russell

Savannah