Re: NFC: Breeders program needs some help

Well I think we will be makeing some changes to the BP. If any one out
there would lijke to take a leadership position in the BP please chime
in. Serious folks only need  apply :)

Robert Rice
Save those Fishes
Join the Native Fish Conservancy
http://www.nativefish.org

On Wed, 26 Apr 2000 19:01:23 -0400 "Joshua L. Wiegert"
<Wiegerj at paul_paulsmiths.edu> writes:
> [...]
> be worked out.
> I, for instance, received shipments of Breeders Fish from both you
> and
> Klaus.  You had sent me a bunch of flagfins, and later, Klaus sent
> me a
> great bunch of darters.
> I was supposed to breed them, however: I failed.
> The flagfins, unfortunately, all died.  The darters, due to issues
> with
> tank space and such, as well as certain things getting in the way of
> finishing my darter tank (<cough> Fiancee <cough>) were left at
> home,
> while I'm here at school.  They'll be coming with me to Maryland,
> though. :)
>
> Its hard to come right out and admit "I failed."  THis is especially
> true for those of us grouped in the "supposidly reputable folks"
> category.  However, my guess is there are a lot of other people out
> there who failed.  We're working with living fish.  Sometimes, they
> don't cooperate and, worse yet, sometimes they die.  Its
> unavoidable,
> and there's absolutely nothing wrong with saying, "I failed."
>
> However, I do have a suggestion on the program.  If we allow it to
> go as
> it goes now, it'll become a stress and strain on the people who are
> volunteering for it.  That means that we'll lose these people, and
> eventually the program.
>
> 1:  The receiver pays all shipping costs.  Period.  This includes
> costs
> of boxes, bags, etc.
> 2:  When someone first receives fish, a "deposit" is required.  This
> deposit is taken and invested in the NFC.  Some of it can go to the
> collector or shipper as compensation.  When/if the fish are bred and
> histories given, then the receiver can get up to 50% of the deposit
> back
> and/or other fish.
> 3:  Limit the fish available to first timers.  These can be fish
> that we
> know a little about, are easy to collect, and so forth, such as the
> flagfins.  When they show -- outright show -- that they can breed
> these,
> they can move on and get the more interesting stuff.  Obviously,
> having
> even first timers work on redundant species is not overly desirable,
> so
> the list would have to be ever expanding.
>
> These are just some thoughts I had on it.
> --
> end
>   ____^__
> ><,Darwin,>
> Joshua L. Wiegert
> NFC Lists Administrator
> Wiegerj at paulsmiths_edu
> www.geocities.com/RainForest/Jungle/1680/
> owner-nfc at actwin_com
> ICQ 69551951                                     AIM UID: Etheosoma
> Feel free to contact me by any of the above means for any reason.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=--=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
=-=-=-=
>    tIqDaq HoSna' tu'lu'           nIteb Qob quD jup 'e' chaw'be'
> SuvwI'

> list of
> other commands, or feel free to contact me at Owner-NFC at actwin_com.
> All
> lists are @actwin.com. Come join us and chat about our native
> fishes, or
> visit http://www.nativefish.org!