Re: NFC: Collection Deaths

Temperature change is critical if it is very large.  Warming water drops DO
and raises fish metabolism/oxygen demand.  If collecting temp is more than
say, 5 degrees F cooler than tank temp, I fill a container with water from
the tap at the same temp as the transport water.  Use ice if necessary.
Once clorine is removed and temp adjusted, add the fish.  Use aeration such
as airstone or aspirated powerhead.  Let water warm gradually to room temp
for as long as it takes.  If fish are gasping, add ice and/or aeration as
needed.  I do this in a bucket or tank, depending on the number of fish and
degree of temp difference.  A larger volume of water will warm more slowly.
I have minimal losses this way.

Mark Binkley
Columbus Ohio USA            <))><
mbinkley at earthling_net