Re: NFC: Re: Large Tanks

All,

I have found this thread interesting, because I am in the process of setting
up a 180 gallon tank that will be built in to a partition wall between the
Liv. and Family rooms of our new house. As far as I can tell, the "stock
size" for a 180g  (in the 2' thickness, front to back) is 2' deep by 6'
long. I can reach to the bottom of a two foot deep tank with my arm, so I
feel that this depth is about the upper limit for me.  The bottom of the
tank is at four feet from floor height, so most of the maintenance will be
done from a step ladder. I am currently planning for two 250w Metal halide
lights at 5500k.  I'm hoping that 2.8 watts/gallon will suffice for growing
plants. The tank itself will be open-topped but the MH lights will be
enclosed in a space above the tank that will be accessible through a cabinet
door that swings up overhead. The walls of this area above the tank will be
sheetrocked with "greenboard" to resist water damage and a ceiling mounted
bathfan will be included above the lights to draw off heat and moisture to
the outside.  One end of the tank wall abuts an exterior wall of my home.  I
have left a space here where the walls meet, to enclose the filtration, CO2,
control equipment. An access door in the outside wall will allow me do any
maintenance to this equipment FROM THE OUTSIDE, thus preserving my
marrige........ :)  Has anyone here had a "see-through" tank like this one?
Pros/Cons?

TIA,

Brian Perkins, President
Metroserv, Inc.